More seat

Got a little more done on the seat, doing some sanding, shaping, some body filler and set everything up to see how it’s looking.

Here you can see the seat compared to the real one I’m using as a reference.
20140422_213550-1

Fitting the seat:
seatFitting

And here’s how it’s looking, which can also be seen on the Current State page.
20140423_004642-1

Advertisements

Seat, and more body work

Started making the seat out of wood, to then make a silicon mold out of, and then be able to cast the seat in hard rubber.
20140417_224643

Also, still getting the engine cover smoother and smoother, ever so gradually..
20140414_213152

I also cut the hub shaft to length, and left a piece on the end to act as a keyway, in addition to the setscrew and probably another small keyway with standard removeable key
20140415_22040520140415_220454

More body filling

While doing random small stuff like centering shafts in the center of tubes, I’ve been working more on the body lines and smoothing of the engine cover. First thickened epoxy, sanding, some primer to see the low spots, then starting the body filler..
20140408_213600
20140411_184903
20140411_19122520140411_191232

Starting the seat

Engine cover is still getting body filler and sanded. I drilled the holes in the back for it to attach to the seat post. Next need to figure out some more mounting locations. You can also see where the pull starter will be sorta hidden, yet still in a good spot to pull it.

20140403_213709 20140403_213732
20140403_213910

I also started mocking up the seat with foam.  Going to be more refined and made of rubber later, but getting an idea of how big I want it.

20140403_213817

Some misc body work

Been spending some time on the engine cover, in the front where it has a bump out shape, over the monoshock. I used a cup to make the shape, covered it wax paper, layed cloth over it, then tore the cup out, added a ledge, etc etc. Lots of nights of doing a little here, a little there, each time, adding some thickened epoxy where needed. Almost ready to mount to the frame, and then smooth and perfect it with body filler.

20140324_234230
20140328_204321

I also welded some nuts onto the rear hub piece, marked the hole locations on the wheel, and will drill the holes soon so I can attach the hub to the wheel.
20140325_002615
20140328_204935

Rear Drive hub

While laying fiberglass, and letting it harden, I have been working on the rear drive hub. It’s terribly hard to explain the many difficulties in designing it, as well as building it, but oh well, here goes. First, it needs to bolt to the rear wheel, then go inside the rear frame tube, yet still be supported by a bearing, have a sprocket that can come off, and the whole thing needs to have the 5/8 rear axle bolt go through it, yet it can’t touch that axle, cause the hub spins, the axle doesn’t. The sprocket is welded to a collar which slides onto the 1″ pipe of the left side of the hub. I had to have everything on a 3/4 axle to weld them together, so it will all clear the 5/8 axle later. The pictures can do the talking I guess.

20140315_002124
20140317_005714
20140317_005654
RearDriveHubDiagram

Also, here is where I am at on the fiberglass Engine Cover:
20140315_215448
20140316_111535

Engine cover

I began workin on the engine cover which has the appearance of a gas tank. First, I designed it in 3d, trying to make it look like the real one, yet fitting my desired dimensions.
TankTemplates3d

Then I printed out some templates of all the end pieces, to cut them out of plywood. I’m gonna modify them a little, then add some wood cross supports similar to what I have in carboard for now. Then I’ll cover them with fiberglass sheets and reinforce everything to be a nice fiberglass shell.
20140311_125550
20140313_000900
20140313_001058

eE48v on Steering test
Advertisements