More seat

Got a little more done on the seat, doing some sanding, shaping, some body filler and set everything up to see how it’s looking.

Here you can see the seat compared to the real one I’m using as a reference.

Fitting the seat:

And here’s how it’s looking, which can also be seen on the Current State page.

Seat, and more body work

Started making the seat out of wood, to then make a silicon mold out of, and then be able to cast the seat in hard rubber.

Also, still getting the engine cover smoother and smoother, ever so gradually..

I also cut the hub shaft to length, and left a piece on the end to act as a keyway, in addition to the setscrew and probably another small keyway with standard removeable key

More body filling

While doing random small stuff like centering shafts in the center of tubes, I’ve been working more on the body lines and smoothing of the engine cover. First thickened epoxy, sanding, some primer to see the low spots, then starting the body filler..

Starting the seat

Engine cover is still getting body filler and sanded. I drilled the holes in the back for it to attach to the seat post. Next need to figure out some more mounting locations. You can also see where the pull starter will be sorta hidden, yet still in a good spot to pull it.

20140403_213709 20140403_213732

I also started mocking up the seat with foam.  Going to be more refined and made of rubber later, but getting an idea of how big I want it.


Some misc body work

Been spending some time on the engine cover, in the front where it has a bump out shape, over the monoshock. I used a cup to make the shape, covered it wax paper, layed cloth over it, then tore the cup out, added a ledge, etc etc. Lots of nights of doing a little here, a little there, each time, adding some thickened epoxy where needed. Almost ready to mount to the frame, and then smooth and perfect it with body filler.


I also welded some nuts onto the rear hub piece, marked the hole locations on the wheel, and will drill the holes soon so I can attach the hub to the wheel.

Rear Drive hub

While laying fiberglass, and letting it harden, I have been working on the rear drive hub. It’s terribly hard to explain the many difficulties in designing it, as well as building it, but oh well, here goes. First, it needs to bolt to the rear wheel, then go inside the rear frame tube, yet still be supported by a bearing, have a sprocket that can come off, and the whole thing needs to have the 5/8 rear axle bolt go through it, yet it can’t touch that axle, cause the hub spins, the axle doesn’t. The sprocket is welded to a collar which slides onto the 1″ pipe of the left side of the hub. I had to have everything on a 3/4 axle to weld them together, so it will all clear the 5/8 axle later. The pictures can do the talking I guess.


Also, here is where I am at on the fiberglass Engine Cover:

Engine cover

I began workin on the engine cover which has the appearance of a gas tank. First, I designed it in 3d, trying to make it look like the real one, yet fitting my desired dimensions.

Then I printed out some templates of all the end pieces, to cut them out of plywood. I’m gonna modify them a little, then add some wood cross supports similar to what I have in carboard for now. Then I’ll cover them with fiberglass sheets and reinforce everything to be a nice fiberglass shell.

eE48v on Steering test